Founder of Product People Jock Busuttil publishes articles regularly on I Manage Products, a blog for product people to learn about product management from the ground up.
PRODUCTHEAD is a newsletter of the best articles, videos and podcasts from product leaders and commentators all over the world, curated by Jock Busuttil. All neatly packaged up in a regular email delivery for your reading, viewing and listening pleasure.
- PRODUCTHEAD: Product management post-COVID-19by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 7th June 2021
» Mind The Product pivoted in 8 weeks, then spent the next 8 months refining the concept » When working remotely, post information in at least 3 places to ensure everyone sees it » Pivots that align with the existing corporate vision tend to be more successful » The shift to digital during the COVID-19 pandemic will not be as sticky as some assume
- PRODUCTHEAD: World Product Day 2021by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 31st May 2021
» Change in your organisation may be inhibited by a small number of constraints » Your product, your company is always part of a wider ecosystem » A product strategy needs to be clear on what metrics to focus on and how to move them » Finding product-market fit is the beginning, not the end
- Q&A: How do you find the balance between autonomy and focus for PMs you’re managing?by Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 26th May 2021
“I have a PM in my team who I regularly find digging into areas of the business that are unrelated to the initiatives they’re responsible for. [As a result,] they also have a track record of being extremely slow to bring anything to market.”
- PRODUCTHEAD: Stakeholders are people tooby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 24th May 2021
» Identify the key stakeholders whom you need to trust you and collaborate with you regularly » Understand the real reason for anger – whether in others or ourselves » Remember where stakeholders’ help starts and ends » To be trusted, you need to demonstrate your competence
- PRODUCTHEAD: “Don’t f**k up the culture”by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 17th May 2021
» Problems come and go, but culture is forever » Psychological safety presents a new set of social norms » Product managers should be at the forefront of helping organisations to do things better for people » The corporate vision explains why the company exists » Open forums and communication lines between teams helps to maintain alignment
- PRODUCTHEAD: Service design and product managementby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 10th May 2021
» Customers are seeking more value from digital technologies — “liquid experiences” » Services by nature don’t always fit current organisational structures » Service design and business analyst roles require a different type of focus and mindset » Key to becoming a service designer is not finding a new job, but transforming your current job » “Seamless services” means bringing together people from across professional boundaries
- PRODUCTHEAD: Ethical product managementby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 3rd May 2021
» Product managers must understand the impact of their products on society as a whole » Now is the time to push for broader product management accountability » No company, individual or set of activities, yet provides a clear-cut example of ethical best practice » What we build must not be at the cost of another group’s needs » Nothing in traditional product training prepares you for making ethical decisions
- 80: The neverending quest for product-market fitby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 28th April 2021
Even if your product’s achieved product-market fit, you’re wrong if you think you never need to worry about it again.
- PRODUCTHEAD: User personas or creepy caricatures?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 26th April 2021
» Avoid waste by by first researching “shallow” user personas then progressively elaborating as needed » Product managers can and should conduct user research when demand outstrips the researchers available » Connect user personas to people’s actual goals for more emotional impact » Good interviewers listen, not talk
- PRODUCTHEAD: Trust and customer successby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 19th April 2021
» Keeping your users’ attention means minimising cognitive drain » Customer onboarding is a continuous process » Video games use contextual nudges to teach players how the game works » A new customer success team builds trust by prioritising people, then process
- PRODUCTHEAD: Why do my houseplants keep dying?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 12th April 2021
» Use sensitivity analysis to identify the make-or-break metrics for your business » Your analytics approach needs to change over time to keep up with your evolving product » Blindly copying best practices results in an imperfect copy » Analytics tools don’t do the thinking for you
- Mission to Marsby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 31st March 2021
Imagine you’ve just been told that you’ll be a member of the team responsible for the first manned mission to Mars. Now imagine someone asks you how much the mission’s going to cost. The whole thing. There and back. By close of business on Thursday.