Founder of Product People Jock Busuttil publishes articles regularly on I Manage Products, a blog for product people to learn about product management from the ground up.
PRODUCTHEAD is a newsletter of the best articles, videos and podcasts from product leaders and commentators all over the world, curated by Jock Busuttil. All neatly packaged up in a regular email delivery for your reading, viewing and listening pleasure.
- PRODUCTHEAD: Becoming a product leaderby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 13th September 2021
» To build trust, mutual respect and transparency are critical » Becoming a product leader means letting go of the day-to-day product management » Being good at your job means training others to be good at theirs » Equip your team to make good choices without needing your input » Developing people is the single most important part of your job
- PRODUCTHEAD: Should we be saying no or not?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 6th September 2021
» Saying no to a good idea requires confidence in your product strategy » Even if saying no to an opportunity, take the time to understand its value and context » Keep ideas and suggestions separate from your product backlog » Clear company goals and strategy make it easier to say no to unaligned requests » Saying yes habitually to one-off custom features will usually kill your product business
- PRODUCTHEAD: 9 of the best product management podcastsby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 30th August 2021
» A selection of the best product management podcasts by product people, recommended by product people
- 81: The unifying principles of product managementby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 25th August 2021
A recent tweet by John Cutler provoked some interesting reactions. It got me thinking about whether there are underlying principles of product management that apply in all contexts.
- PRODUCTHEAD: (Re)discovering discoveryby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 23rd August 2021
» Discovery is about understanding the problem space experienced by people » When on a tight budget for discovery, mitigate bias where possible and document all the biases you see » A relaxed participant will open up and be more honest with you » A discovery can prompt one or more possible solutions, or tell you the problem is not worth pursuing
- PRODUCTHEAD: Acting like a startup seeking fundingby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 16th August 2021
» Bootstrapped startups have free rein with their strategy » Successful startups try to anticipate failure, and learn from it when they don’t » Investors look for long-term defensibility of your product’s proposition and unique advantage » Operational velocity is key to company success
- PRODUCTHEAD: Starting your next role in productby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 9th August 2021
» When starting your next role, gather opinions and evaluate them before making your own appraisal of the state of the product » Think of your first month’s activity in terms of people, product and personal » The transition from product manager to leader requires many new skill sets » To set up a new starter in your team for success, be clear on their role and goals
- PRODUCTHEAD: Success theatreby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 2nd August 2021
» Success theatre undermines the long-term potential of your team and organisation » Small changes can incite a large culture transformation » As organisations grow, they incorrectly start to value the importance of “process” over “product” » Measuring process distracts you from determining whether you are creating value » Quarterly planning is disruptive when it introduces too much new information at once
- What to do when service transformation goes wrongby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 28th July 2021
When companies set out to redesign a product or service, the results can sometimes be underwhelming. Instead of delivering service transformation, the team recommends only minor efficiency tweaks. If this has been happening to you, there can be many underlying causes. I’ve identified a few common problems and what you can you do about them.
- PRODUCTHEAD: Basics of finance for product managersby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 26th July 2021
» Free, online courses are available to help you become more literate in the basics of finance » There are three key financial metrics to track in a recurring / subscription business » Gain a competitive advantage by interpreting annual corporate accounts » Challenge received wisdom about key financial metrics and ratios to reveal hidden insights
- PRODUCTHEAD: 5 product strategy tipsby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 19th July 2021
» The vision describes the future we are trying to create » The strategy describes how we’ll make the vision a reality » There are only 4 strategies after finding product-market fit » Tesla subsidised more affordable car models with the revenue from their initial luxury roadster » Storytelling helps to convince stakeholders to believe in your vision
- PRODUCTHEAD: To err is humanby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 12th July 2021
» Customer research and validation is critical, but it can’t always make decisions for you » Remedy mistakes quickly and honestly to earn respect » Use the “rule of 10” to put mistakes in context » People remember most your small defining moments