Founder of Product People Jock Busuttil publishes articles regularly on I Manage Products, a blog for product people to learn about product management from the ground up.
PRODUCTHEAD is a newsletter of the best articles, videos and podcasts from product leaders and commentators all over the world, curated by Jock Busuttil. All neatly packaged up in a regular email delivery for your reading, viewing and listening pleasure.
- PRODUCTHEAD: Service design and product managementby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 10th May 2021
» Customers are seeking more value from digital technologies — “liquid experiences” » Services by nature don’t always fit current organisational structures » Service design and business analyst roles require a different type of focus and mindset » Key to becoming a service designer is not finding a new job, but transforming your current job » “Seamless services” means bringing together people from across professional boundaries
- PRODUCTHEAD: Ethical product managementby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 3rd May 2021
» Product managers must understand the impact of their products on society as a whole » Now is the time to push for broader product management accountability » No company, individual or set of activities, yet provides a clear-cut example of ethical best practice » What we build must not be at the cost of another group’s needs » Nothing in traditional product training prepares you for making ethical decisions
- 80: The neverending quest for product-market fitby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 28th April 2021
Even if your product’s achieved product-market fit, you’re wrong if you think you never need to worry about it again.
- PRODUCTHEAD: User personas or creepy caricatures?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 26th April 2021
» Avoid waste by by first researching “shallow” user personas then progressively elaborating as needed » Product managers can and should conduct user research when demand outstrips the researchers available » Connect user personas to people’s actual goals for more emotional impact » Good interviewers listen, not talk
- PRODUCTHEAD: Trust and customer successby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 19th April 2021
» Keeping your users’ attention means minimising cognitive drain » Customer onboarding is a continuous process » Video games use contextual nudges to teach players how the game works » A new customer success team builds trust by prioritising people, then process
- PRODUCTHEAD: Why do my houseplants keep dying?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 12th April 2021
» Use sensitivity analysis to identify the make-or-break metrics for your business » Your analytics approach needs to change over time to keep up with your evolving product » Blindly copying best practices results in an imperfect copy » Analytics tools don’t do the thinking for you
- Mission to Marsby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 31st March 2021
Imagine you’ve just been told that you’ll be a member of the team responsible for the first manned mission to Mars. Now imagine someone asks you how much the mission’s going to cost. The whole thing. There and back. By close of business on Thursday.
- PRODUCTHEAD: What’s the fuss about Jobs To Be Done?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 29th March 2021
» A milkshake is really just a way to pass the time and stave off hunger on a long drive » Users struggling to use your product to complete their tasks have unmet needs » Christensen emphasises the higher order goal, Ulwick the task at hand » Jobs To Be Done is often misunderstood, making it difficult for some to begin applying it
- PRODUCTHEAD: The new lamplightersby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 22nd March 2021
» Amazon warehouses are gradually moving towards full robotic automation » Greater automation creates new types of work, but not necessarily for people » Smart contracts are already automating financial transactions, but can be susceptible to coding flaws » Increased use of machine learning in insurance places greater burden on regulators to ensure fairness
- PRODUCTHEAD: Recruiting the right stuffby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 15th March 2021
» Emotional intelligence is more important than technical skills » Hire people who will increase your rate of learning » A head of product needs prior experience as a product manager » Good candidates have initiative and passion to pursue their opinions
- 79: The product leader’s guide to interviewingby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 10th March 2021
I’m often involved in the interviewing and hiring interviewing process, so I’d like to share with you my product leader’s guide to interviewing product managers.
- PRODUCTHEAD: When did storytelling become so hard?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 8th March 2021
» “Requirements” is another way of saying “just shut up and build it” » A user story is deliberately sparse on detail to provoke a team conversation about the user’s goal » We often incorrectly assume everyone does something the same way » The mental model to describe epics, user stories and tasks can be clarified with visual artefacts