Founder of Product People Jock Busuttil publishes articles regularly on I Manage Products, a blog for product people to learn about product management from the ground up.
PRODUCTHEAD is a newsletter of the best articles, videos and podcasts from product leaders and commentators all over the world, curated by Jock Busuttil. All neatly packaged up in a regular email delivery for your reading, viewing and listening pleasure.
- Q&A: Should a product manager have responsibility for profitability?by Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 24th February 2021
“Should the product manager have some level or perhaps a great deal of responsibility for the profitability of the product? Should they understand things like the unit economics, that sort of thing?”
- PRODUCTHEAD: Wrap your ears around these podcastsby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 22nd February 2021
» Recommendations of product podcasts
- PRODUCTHEAD: The what, why and how of user researchby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 15th February 2021
» User research needs to be proactive as well as reactive validation » Some research techniques are more useful than others at different stages » You must safeguard the welfare of your user research participants » There are many ways to recruit participants for your research without outsourcing » Use a simple format for sharing research findings memorably
- 78: How to start a new product manager jobby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 10th February 2021
Starting a new product manager job can be daunting, particularly if you don’t change jobs very often. I work freelance, so I find myself in a new organisation roughly every 3-6 months. Let me share with you my tips for your first few months in a new role.
- PRODUCTHEAD: Remind me, what am I meant to be doing?by Jock Busuttil on Monday, 8th February 2021
» A product manager works at the intersection between business, technology and user experience » A product manager is not a replacement for absent specialists » The product manager is accountable for ensuring the solution is both valuable and viable » Product managers use their knowledge of user needs and business goals to frame problems and set priorities for their delivery teams
- PRODUCTHEAD: Rethinking product roadmapsby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 1st February 2021
» Remove the timelines from your product roadmap » Use roadmap themes to focus on solving user problems » User outcomes are more important than delivering features » Roadmaps help to make strategic decisions when there’s low certainty » Rethinking your roadmap approach can help when managing mature products
- Q&A: What technical skills do I need to be a product manager?by Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 27th January 2021
“I was looking for inspiration and guidance as I am searching for a career change and Product Management/ Project Management are my areas of interest. I was looking to understand if in such roles technical skills are required.”
- PRODUCTHEAD: Creativity is borne of constraintsby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 25th January 2021
» Constraints that motivate and focus are most effective » Boredom can trigger a creative and productive state of mind » It’s important not to stave off boredom immediately with distractions » You can optimise your working environment for greater productivity on different types of task
- PRODUCTHEAD: Pricing – everything and nothing has changedby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 18th January 2021
» Pricing determines the structure of the business that produces it » Start with consumer research to determine potential demand and feasibility of the product » A step-by-step guide to pricing software » Scalpers have made $82M in sales of consumer tech in under three months
- 77: The only article you’ll ever need on prioritizationby Jock Busuttil on Wednesday, 13th January 2021
When faced with all the things you could and should be doing, it can be tremendously hard to decide which to do, let alone which to do first.
- PRODUCTHEAD: The good, the bad and the ugly of machine learningby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 11th January 2021
» Machine learning is the science of getting computers to act without being explicitly programmed » DeepMind’s AlphaFold solves a complex protein folding problem in days rather than years » Netflix and the BBFC automate age certifications for content with a staff-trained algorithm » YouTube’s recommendation algorithm has the unintended consequence of creating echo chambers » An algorithm widely used in US courts for predicting future criminality exhibits racial bias » Filmmaker Shalini Kantayya explores the impact of biased facial recognition algorithms on human rights
- PRODUCTHEAD: Better teams need better leadersby Jock Busuttil on Monday, 4th January 2021
» Leaders have a disporportionate impact on the psychological safety of their teams » Effective teams feel their work means something and makes a difference » A servant leader’s motivation begins with a consious choice to serve others without self-interest » A leader can show support and respect by approving and following a team’s social charter